Check out my YouTube playlist!

Reading to Your Newborn Baby

When should you start reading to your child?

Now! It is never too late, or too early, to read to your child. I read my baby her first book when she was three days old. Since my husband and I adopted our baby, that was the soonest we could read to her! I understand moms who have children biologically may not be in the position to read right away, so whenever you can, just start! 

I read at least one book a day to my baby. What if you miss a day? It's okay! Just start again the next day. Reading to your baby should be fun and not an added chore so as to take the enjoyment out of it. After a few months, I tried to get in a routine once my baby woke up: change diaper and clothes, feeding and then read a book. If we had more time to read during the day, then we did.

Is there a particular book you should start with? Babies see in black and white and then a few more colors come in. So I started with some simple board books that were in black and white. Sometimes they are noted as high contrast books. There are only a few words on each page so they take just a few minutes to read. Your baby might be interested in the pictures on the page. Babies learn your voice and speech patterns when you are reading out loud. 

Is there a particular way to read? My reading voice is the same one I use to talk happy with my baby. You know, when you say something like, "You're such a cute baby!" with all that excitement and enthusiasm. I'll use extra expression when reading too. As my baby got a little older, I toned it down a little but then added excitement when she goes to touch a picture, or turn a page.

What if my baby loses interest after one page? It isn't imperative to finish the whole book. Babies have no idea of the story line. In fact, most board books are so simple, there isn't a story line. Babies also have no idea if you make it to the end of the book. At this point, you are building a behavior of sitting in your lap with a book, with the opportunity to listen to your voice.

When reading to newborns, keep it simple. Read a few pages if your baby starts squirming. Try again later or the next day. After a couple of weeks, you'll notice your baby making it through an extra page at a time. And who doesn't love having their baby cuddle in their lap with them for a fun activity like reading? I understand reading isn't fun for everyone, but you will be doing your child a great thing by instilling this behavior early on. My husband reads to our baby too and she loves reading time with her daddy. 

As a teacher I loved the quote, "Today a reader, tomorrow a leader!" Now that my baby is one year old, she will pick up books as if they are one of her toys. I love seeing that so much!!! I helped my seven year old with the same reading behaviors, and now as a second grader, she is reading at and above grade level books. She is the kid that you see walking around with a book in her hand!

Here are two books that I read to my baby as a newborn.

Hello, Baby Animals - Purchase by clicking here!

Look Look! - Purchase by clicking!




 

Michelle Holly Recommends Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design