Check out my YouTube playlist!

Introduction Blog

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Thanks for stopping by.  

If you're a parent, or about to be, I'm going to guess that you're reading this in between many other tasks you have to do. Are you a multi-tasker like me? That's when I'm writing this! My baby is a taking a nap, and it might be a short one, so I better keep this quick! Multi-tasker or not, I know you want to help your child thrive. And I'm happy to help! That is the mission of my blog - to help you help your child enjoy reading and learning.

I have been in education for eighteen years and have held positions from first grade to seventh grade teacher and a few positions outside of the classroom. I have my degree in elementary education and a masters in educational leadership.  I have successfully taught many of my students how to read and have fostered a love for reading in many other students!

My sister has repeatedly told me that she hears me ask questions when reading books that she would not have thought of.  She also told me that I spot the educational value in the toys our children enjoy.  With her encouragement, I have started this blog to help you help your child to engage in reading and learning. I hope you find some good tips and get some good ideas from my future blogs.

I am an aunt to two girls, age seven and four and have been able to help them learn since birth. My seven-year-old niece absolutely loves reading and is reading above grade level. Since she was one week old, I remember sitting her in my lap and reading her books. This past year we have all done virtual education so I have been able to teach my four year old niece. She is learning her letters and numbers and I love teaching her.

This past year I became a mom!! It has been a year of learning and being a mommy is my favorite role yet! My husband and I found out the day she was born that we were going to be able to adopt our sweet baby. We met her late at night the day after she was born and our hearts were in heaven when we got to hold her. The next morning we stopped at the bookstore to buy her first books. We decided on Everything is Mama and Your Baby's First Word Will Be Dada by Jimmy Fallon because our sweet baby made us parents.  We brought the books to the hospital with us and read them to our sweet daughter each day she was in the hospital until we brought her home. Oddly enough, we were the only parents reading to their newborn baby! Since then, I have read at least one book a day to her. Side note: much to my delight, our baby's first word was Mama!!

Now she just turned one, and LOVES books. Her favorite kinds are the touch and feel and lift the flap books. She knows how to turn pages, she will pick up books to play with, and she loves sitting on my lap to be read to.  This is a behavior I have instilled in her since birth and I would love to help you instill the same behavior in your child. It is never too late, or too early, to read to your child.  

If you have any questions or ideas you want me to blog about, feel free to send me a note!







 

Michelle Holly Recommends Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design