Check out my YouTube playlist!

Wood Puzzles: Fine Motor Skills and Critical Thinking

The fascination with puzzles can be quite puzzling, don’t you think? Just kidding, couldn’t help myself. Puzzles are in fact a great way for your child to work on fine motor skills, while including an educational aspect in a fun activity. As a mom and certified educator, I’ll share a few ways you can have your one year old play with puzzles and still use that same puzzle for a couple more years! I'll also share some educational insights that are quick and to the point so multitasking moms like me can be a mom-boss (or dad-boss) while making sure your baby is the smartest baby on the block!

I love the Melissa and Doug puzzles. They are made of wood, have a base to fit all the pieces and are made for little kids’ hands. There are tons of puzzles out there, of course. You just have to figure out what you want your child to use it for and make sure it’s safe for your child’s age. I like the wood ones for my one year old daughter because she tends to put things in her mouth. The wood holds up against her chewing on the pieces and is sturdy for her little fingers.

Here’s how you can use these puzzles in different developmental stages.

Take a look at the fish puzzles. Right now, my daughter is using them to practice her fine motor skills. She has to pinch the little handle to lift the pieces. She isn’t quite putting the pieces back on the board, but that’s the next step. Sometimes she is playing independently and I just let her practice her pinching skills. Other times I’m right there with her, adding in an educational aspect. For instance, as she lifts a piece I’ll say, “That fish is pink!” Eventually, I’ll ask her to repeat the colors, pick up the color I call out, count the fish, and then learn to read the color names. This puzzle will last a few years!

The other puzzle I enjoy is one with shapes. This puzzle requires my daughter to use more of her hand in a hand grab. Her fingers have to work together and it is helping her pick up heavier items. Sometimes I’ll call out the color or the shape or both! Eventually, I’ll ask her to identify the color, shape, how many sides each shape has, and the words on the board. This puzzle will last a few years too!

The last puzzle I have pictured is the animal puzzle. These types of puzzles require a different grasp for your baby’s hand. And the educational aspect is centered around animals. You can talk about the different colors of the animals, where the animals can be found and what sounds each animal makes.

See how there’s so much more than just letting your baby play with a puzzle? It’s a great opportunity to engage in your baby’s learning! And that, my friend, is not puzzling at all!




 

Michelle Holly Recommends Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design